During the third Community Roundtable in December, participants discussed topics related to operations and maintenance. Some of the participants’ most common comments and recommendations were:
- Our facilities are well maintained, but our buildings and grounds staff is stretched too thin. Far from considering cuts in this area, the board should consider adding staff.
- Paying for maintenance now is cheaper than paying for repairs later.
- The district should continue to keep school doors open after hours; it’s worth any extra cost.
- Buildings and grounds staff should use “green” products as long as they are safe, effective, and cost-efficient.
- The school district has a responsibility to proactively address public health concerns (e.g., MRSA, H1N1 “swine” flu).