During the first Community Roundtable in October, participants discussed topics related to curriculum and instruction, including non-mandated programs, professional development, class size and staffing, support service programs, and technology in the classroom.
Some of the participants’ most common recommendations were:
- Maintain non-mandated programs, such as college-level courses and expanded art and music programs.
- Evaluate professional development programs to ensure they are effective and relevant.
- Larger class sizes have a negative effect on student achievement: Maintain smaller class sizes wherever possible.
- Support service programs can have positive effects on student achievement: The district should provide services that at least meet the state minimum requirements and refer students to outside agencies in the community whenever possible.
- Technology is crucial to students’ success in school and in their future careers and should be a district priority.
Do you believe the Board of Education should look for cost savings in this area? If so, what budget items should it consider reducing or eliminating?